Tips for taxpayers who need to file an amended tax return
- Use the Interactive Tax Assistant to help determine if you should file an amended tax return.
- Don’t amend for math errors or missing forms.
- Wait until receiving a refund for the tax year 2019 before filing.
- File Form 1040-X to amend.
- Amend to correct the filing status or to report additional income.
- Pay additional tax.
- File within a three-year time limit.
- Use separate forms if amending more than one tax year.
- Track amended return status online. Where’s My Amended Return?